Notice at Collection for California Applicants
First Student & First Transit
Last Revised: April 26, 2021
To download or print a copy of this Notice click here
First Student & First Transit (and its subsidiaries and associated entities) in North America, with the
exception of Greyhound entities (collectively, “First Student & First Transit”) collects and uses personal
information from and about you in connection with your application for employment with us as
described in this Notice.
1. What do we mean by personal information?
When we say “personal information” we mean information that can be used on its own or with other
information to identify, contact, or locate a single person or household.
Personal information does not include information that has been anonymized, aggregated or de-identified
so that it is no longer associated with (or can no longer be used to identify) a particular person or
household. In some cases, personal information excludes information that is publicly available.
2. What types of personal information do we collect from and about job applicants?
Below are the categories of personal information we collect and the purposes for which we intend to use this information:
- Identifying information, such as your full name, gender, and date of birth.
- National identifiers, such as SSN, passport and visa information, and immigration status and documentation.
- Contact information, such as your home address, email addresses, and emergency contact information.
- Personal information categories listed in the California Customer Records statute (Cal. Civ. Code § 1798.80(e),including information such as your name, signature, telephone numbers, and SSN
- Protected classification characteristics under California or federal law,including demographic data, such as race, ethnic origin, marital status, disability, and veteran or military status.
- Professional or employment-related information,including educational and professional background information, such as your work history, academic and professional qualifications, references, and interview notes.
- Non-public education information (per the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (20 U.S.C. Section 1232g, 34 C.F.R. Part 99)), including educational records.
- Internet or other similar network activity,including information systems (IS) information, such as your search history, browsing history, login information, and IP addresses on First Student & First Transit's information systems and networks.
- Biometric information, such as fingerprints. Governmental entities and/or third-party service providers may collect fingerprints on our behalf to perform criminal background checks to comply with state mandates and requirements in our contracts with our customers. In some but not all cases, we receive a copy of such information.
- Geolocation data,such as time and physical location related to use of an internet website, application, device, or physical access to a First Student & First Transit office location.
- Inferences drawn from other personal information, including a profile or summary about your job preferences and skills.
3. Use and disclosure of personal information
First Student & First Transit collects personal information to use or disclose as appropriate to carry out our application and recruitment process including to:
- Comply with all applicable laws and regulations, legal processes, enforceable government requests, and corporate governance requirements.
- Identify, recruit, and evaluate job applicants and candidates for employment.
- Contact you in connection with your application.
- Verify your information including your eligibility for employment and/or that you have the appropriate qualifications and/or skills for the job you are applying for.
- Confirm any relevant or desirable professional memberships.
- Carry out employment, background, and reference checks, subject to your consent where required by law.
- Investigate and enforce compliance with and potential breaches of First Student & First Transit policies and procedures.
- Communicate with you about the recruitment process, your application, and current and future career opportunities with First Student & First Transit.
- Engage in corporate transactions requiring review of employee records, such as for evaluating potential mergers and acquisitions of the First Student & First Transit.
- If you share your geolocation data, we may use this information to locate jobs near you.
- Analyze and improve our application and recruitment process.
- Administer and maintain our operations, including for safety purposes.
- Protect the rights and property of First Student & First Transit, other job applicants, employees, or the public, as required or permitted by law.
- Exercise or defend the legal rights of the First Student & First Transit and its employees, affiliates, customers, contractors, and agents.
4. Changes to this Notice
This Notice is reviewed periodically to ensure it accurately captures all types of personal information collected or any additional or different processing of such personal information. We may, therefore, change this Notice at any time and will update the “Last Revised” date accordingly. If we make material changes, we will notify you in a more direct manner, such as via email.
5. Who can you contact for more information?
If you have any questions about this Notice or need to access this Notice in an alternative format due to having a disability, please contact our privacy office as follows:
First Student & First Transit Privacy Office
c/o First Student & First Transit
600 North Vine Street, Suite 1400
Cincinnati, Ohio 45202